The system allows the input of budgets in two basic ways:
- The full budget is developed in the system
- Applicable rates are loaded into the system and updated en masse, leading to more consistency in budgeting.
- Multiple budgets may be developed for scenario planning
- It is easy to see when a rate (idc, fringe, inflation, etc) has been changed and what the impact on the budget is
- Calculation of cost-share on salaries and non-personnel items in the cost-share total field in the ‘periods’ section
- Ability to track unrecovered indirect costs when this functionality is enabled (pending)
- Ability to generate more detailed reports.
- Learning curve – there are multiple screens that must be navigated
- Export options are limited (currently non-existent)
- Only direct and indirect costs are entered into the budget module and a spreadsheet or other document is uploaded as an attachment
- Easy data entry
- Familiar interface (spreadsheets)
Recommendation: The team recognizes that there will be a learning curve and that support will need to be provided to units that have no research admin support. However, the advantages of having a common campus system for budget development outweigh the difficulties. The team recommends that ALL budgets be developed fully in KR with the following exception: for those few sponsors with a requirement to use a specific spreadsheet that does automatic calculations, an uploaded copy of the sponsor spreadsheet will be acceptable, though this will require an extra step of entering the amounts into the summary budget version. The team further recommends that functionality enabling the collection of cost-share account information be enabled.