CSU holds a Federal-Wide Assurance (FWA) allowing local review of CSU’s human research projects. As part of this assurance, CSU agrees to formal training and continuing training of researchers working with human subjects. Protocols can be reviewed, but not approved until the researcher’s training requirements have been met. Co-Principal Investigators are also required to complete the training. Training records must be updated every three years (the training certificate expires after three years).
Initial Training Requirements
On-campus training for researchers
- September 25, 2018; 1:00 – 3:00 (Lory Student Center, Room 312)
- October 23, 2018; 2:00 – 4:00 (Lory Student Center, Room 386)
Online training for researchers
Web-Based Training through CITI is available for you to complete at your convenience. This self-paced core course was developed in collaboration with many institutions including CSU. This training has a 3-4 question quiz at the end of each module that must be completed. Hosted by the University of Miami, the system consists of several sections, each taking 10-20 minutes to complete at your own pace. An overall passing score of 80% must be achieved to obtain the CSU training certificate.
- Click “Register” and affiliate yourself with Colorado State University
- Enter your name/email address and secondary email address
- Create username/password, add security question
- Select the training track that you wish to complete
Students and Researchers
For students and researchers, your options to fulfill human subjects protection training requirements are:
- Biomedical Research
- Social, Humanistic, and Behavioral Research
Note that the option listed as “IRB Members” is for the IRB committee members.
Fulfilling Continuing (Refresher) Training Requirements
Refresher training is also available via the CITI on-line site. You will have the option to complete the Basic Course or the Refresher Course for either the Biomedical track or Social, Humanistic, and Behavioral Research track..